A business account is simply a bank account for businesses. A business account offers you benefits and protections for your small business that a personal account will not.
Things to Know About a Small Business Account
- It is a good idea to keep your business and personal finances separate for tax purposes. It makes your taxes simpler and if you are audited the IRS will only be looking at your business finances.
- It allows you to have a clear, quick picture of the finances of your business.
- You can be issued checks and debit/credit cards with your company name which makes you appear more professional.
- There are fees for business accounts that may be higher or lower than your normal checking account.
- Your bank may have special perks for business accounts, such as discounted air travel. They may also offer free or discounted services such as business and financial planning.
- With a business account, it is possible to get a merchant’s account, which will allow you to take credit and debit card payments from customers.
How to Find a Business Account
- Talk with your accountant to figure out what financial services your business will need.
- Shop around. Visit a number of banks and see who can offer you the best deal and combination of services.